Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Who is Fabulous?

My MOM!!!! Yes, that is who is fabulous. I know I don't say it enough, but my mother is just absolutely fabulous! I don't know what I would have done through these many years of medical issue were it not for my mom standing beside me every step of the way. For a brief history...I had a stroke at the age of 21 (I'm 28 now). This was completely unexpected, I had been healthy all of my life. I ended up having 2 emergency open heart surgeries, just 4 days apart from each other. There was a complication during the first surgery which caused nerve damage and a chronic pain disorder called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome in my leg. Because of this I could no longer walk and was in horrendous pain every minute of every day. I had blood clots, blood infections, was on a pacemaker and connected to what can only now be described as a comical amount of tubes and wires. I ended up in ICU in a coma on life support. At one point my pastors started planning my funeral and my parents were told to say goodbye, I was not expected to last through the night. However I started to slowly get better. I ended up in the hospital for 3 months, then was transferred to a rehab hospital, then to home health care nursing, and then to outpatient rehabilitation 5 days a week for 4 hours a day. My mom was with me every step of the way. I certainly wasn't a happy person during the 5 months that it took to learn how to walk again. But my mom took every step with me. She was there to hold me up when I just wanted to give up. It's been a hard journey, and one that I'm still on. She is my best friend and I know that I can always depend on her. That is why she is fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment